Monday, December 8, 2014

About taking a break....

I wrote about how being consistent is important and it absolutely is. Making sure your voice, your name and your work is constantly out there and in the face of the reading public is vital. But and it's a big but it's also highly important to take a step back now and then. In order to be good at anything; being a parent, a spouse, a friend, a worker or a writer means having time off. Real time off when you don't have to think about whatever role it is you haven't had a break from. As a spouse and parent I think it's vital for alone time from your children and spouse as well as date night with your spouse to both disconnect and reconnect with what we love about the people in our lives. This includes friends and family. At work in the real world we get days off and when those days off are few and far between we begin to show the strain and resentment that comes from doing anything continuously.

Being a writer is no different. We have to learn when we're getting close to burn out or that overwhelmed feeling that doesn't let up. Sure we can keep writing but at some point if you don't allow yourself a break you'll begin to hate the thing you used to love. It will become a chore with only a hint of the passion you used to have. It can take a long time to get past that feeling.

I'm not saying this happens to everyone but it's something that happens a lot especially to writers just learning their way. Usually they are listening to the advice of "write everyday". That is good advice on the whole but we have to allow for real life, illness, moodiness and down right fatigue. Also it's really okay to not feel like writing . This year I completed NaNoWriMo ten days early and was completely psyched to continue writing everyday. I got tired, I got busy, I managed to write every few days and had fun but I also let myself have a break. I had met my goal my metaphorical "deadline" after that I felt I deserved a rest.

You can take these well earned and much needed breaks and still stay consistent and present in the public eye.  A little planning is all it takes. If you blog and are having a creative day try to complete one or two blogs in advance and putting them in draft status. Don't publish them the next time you feel like you need a blog. Post them when you've had a run of days where you don't feel like posting. You might be tired, sick or just angry at writing in general. It's really helpful to have a few just waiting. As a mother of four who has something come up more often than not it's very helpful. The same for author page posts, graphic art for book covers and even Twitter posts.

If you're anything like me you'll have days when your creative energy seems to overflow. Use those days to bank art, ideas, notes and posts. I promise they will come in handy. If you do flash fiction, or fanfiction, or shorts you can do this as well. If nothing else it will give you a starting point, a place to draw new ideas from.


But overall what I want to stress is it's important to take a break, let your mind rest now and then. It allows your brain to reset itself find the energy needed to keep writing, creating in a way that you'll actually like when you look at it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment