Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Procrastination vs Consistency

We all do it, the procrastinating thing. We do it in our job (the one we actually get paid for), at home with chores, in any number of ways. When it comes to writing or more specifically when it comes to being a self-published writer procrastination can be an issue.

I haven't touched my blog in seven days, not so big a deal in the grand scheme of regular life. But as I'm learning a bit of an issue in the self publishing/self promo world. Consistency is key if you want to build a fan base, a following you have to constantly work at putting your name out there. People only stay interested in something as long as it's interesting or at the very least frequently in there face.

You know those annoying ads that pop up everywhere you go because you once looked at a  chatty Kathy doll for your neighbors kid. You need to be like one of those ads. And procrastination will not help with that. You should treat your writing and the promoting part of it like a job. You should be putting in a certain number of hours each week preferably each day. Writing should be a joy something your passionate about. But along with that if your going to be published and make sales you have to work work work at it.

It isn't easy, remember I have four children, a house to work on, a part time job and I home school. So I understand how what I just said seems impossible but it's important and it will pay off.

Recently I started a calendar and am keeping track of the progress of each book, each blog etc. So I can see when I have to large a gap in there. And I need to work on promoting even more....


As you're doing these promos try to be creative. A little money out will help push books sales. No I'm not about to pimp a product. Simply ask other self-published authors what they're doing and try doing that. Ask your friends what would encourage them to read etc.

But more than all the self promo, more than anything else. You have to not allow the procrastination get to you. Write every day, even it's just a small amount of words. Five hundred words is still being consistent. Don't avoid your blog. Maintain your author page on fb, twitter wherever you've got one and even if you have very little out there keep consistent with a webpage. It will payoff in the end.

I've found that through some insane luck the more consistent I am with my writing I'm forced to be that way in the rest of my life. I have to get that pile of laundry done if I want to do the next thing and when all those things are done then it's my time to write. Do whatever works for you, carve out the time whenever you have it, just push to make sure you're doing it everyday.

If this spoke to you I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment