Thursday, October 8, 2015

What are you Up to?

What are you up to?


I get this question a lot. Often times I answer with the mundane tasks of my life. But when asked about my writing I’m never sure how to answer.


Does anyone really want to know what my characters are doing? Or that I’ve been stuck rewriting the same scene over and over for a week. I think for the most part only other writers can understand the ebb and flow and ups and downs of writing life.


There are days when I sit down and three hours later I realize hey I should feed the kids. Then there are the days where I’d rather go to the dentist than try to write. Not to mention the work of trying to choose just the right name or location.

As writers these things matter. The details, nuances and even the things that no one else might notice they stand out to us. These details can get us moving or bog us down depending on the position of the moon, if Leo is in the fifth house and what socks we’re wearing. 





It’s why we form writing groups, support groups and contests. We need the constant reminder that 
while we might not be doing what everyone else is doing. We’re doing what writers do. We drift off at a coffee shop when we watch two people slyly holding hands under the table hoping no one notices. Is it new love, is it an illicit affair or are they a years married couple trying to rekindle a dying fire. We view things in a way others don’t

Even the morbidity of death isn’t just sad its story fodder. If not for us personally, than at the very least we have the moment of “Aha I know who’d like this.”


In our heads we have multiple timelines, storylines, worlds and people all shouting to get the most attention. Then we sit down and hope the voices don’t suddenly quiet.  


Yet when asked what we’re doing we simply answer with “writing” Because how does one answer with all of that?


So I’m asking you..


What are you up to right now?

1 comment:

  1. I'm in process of editing a short story that's going up on my blog in like a week, fleshing out a short story I'm subbing at the end of the month, preparing for NaNoWriMo next month. And trying to figure out what I'm going to write for #FlashMobWrites tonight. Writer stuff.

    I feel you. I have a hard time even talking to my Other about it and HE writes himself, though not in anyway as seriously as me so that might be why. :(

    ReplyDelete